If you ever tried filling out fields in a PDF form (like government ones) just to realize you can’t actually save it…then this post will give you a super easy and – best of all – free way to save fillable PDF files.
When I first published this post in 2009, the Cabaret program worked perfectly. But as one commenter discovered later, it started throwing up errors in German.
I found a new way to save pdf files in 2013 and posted it in the comments section below.
Here it is reposted:
The New Solution
1. Download Foxit Reader
2. Open up your fillable PDF form
3. Fill in some of it
4. Go File > Save as (rename it as a new file)
5. Open up this new PDF file and see if the changes you made are there.
If this doesn’t work for you, please post a comment!
The Old Solution (no longer working as it produces errors in German)
1. Download Cabaret Stage 4.0.7 here. I went with the version without JRE.
A form will come up in German. Just fill in the fields (they’re easy to guess) and click “Ich stemme zu” Update Nov. 3 2010 – I guess they took this part out! Not needed anymore
3. Once downloaded, install the exe file
4. Open Cabaret Stage
5. Open the PDF file you want to save
6. Fill out the fields
7. Go file > save as. Save it as another file.
8. Open up this new PDF file and be prepared to be amazed!