If you ever tried filling out fields in a PDF form (like government ones) just to realize you can’t actually save it…then this post will give you a super easy and – best of all – free way to save fillable PDF files.
When I first published this post in 2009, the Cabaret program worked perfectly. But as one commenter discovered later, it started throwing up errors in German.
I found a new way to save pdf files in 2013 and posted it in the comments section below.
Here it is reposted:
The New Solution
1. Download Foxit Reader
2. Open up your fillable PDF form
3. Fill in some of it
4. Go File > Save as (rename it as a new file)
5. Open up this new PDF file and see if the changes you made are there.
If this doesn’t work for you, please post a comment!
The Old Solution (no longer working as it produces errors in German)
1. Download Cabaret Stage 4.0.7 here. I went with the version without JRE.
A form will come up in German. Just fill in the fields (they’re easy to guess) and click “Ich stemme zu” Update Nov. 3 2010 – I guess they took this part out! Not needed anymore 🙂
3. Once downloaded, install the exe file
4. Open Cabaret Stage
5. Open the PDF file you want to save
6. Fill out the fields
7. Go file > save as. Save it as another file.
8. Open up this new PDF file and be prepared to be amazed!